Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Opinions on Certain Writing Ideas


First off, why does everyone seem to be obsessed with writing about vampires? At this point, I've already lost a ton of readers. (IF I have any at all). So let me say quickly, I love vampires and books with vampires. But there just seems to be a lot of flow about them lately. So my attention has been grabbed by the monster fiction right under vampires--eh, ZOMBIES.


The mouths should be flying open now as you think, "Zombies? Stupid!" Well, let me indulge you. Zombies are a bit of a dork-fest thing, but I've been reading quite a few lately. It all started with Generation Dead by Daniel Waters two thousand months ago. The sequel has come out, and though it is on my desk, I have yet to read it due to other callings such as The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Though not everyone's cup o' tea, it is very good. I am currently reading the sequel, World War Z, which kicks the first book's living dead ass. I'd also like to add that while standard comics are great, I suggest these zombie mangas: Zombie Loan, Zombie Powder (which doesn't have to do with zombies much), and Hellsing (deals with ghouls...). Zombie L. is really good, but quite violent and contains some erotic things.


Second opinion: what is up with the "perfect guy" rolls? Can't girls remain single throughout a novel? Nope. It is not what teenagers want. "We" want love, scandal, drama! I think it is quite annoying, unless we are talking about something like Mizuzaki's Whisper of the Heart or Howl's Moving Castle (both are animes). Those have what real romance should be: sweet, kind, and most of all, complicated. They make you feel good. But once again, teens don't seem to want that.


Third opinion: why is there never any actual fight scenes in books anymore? (Need I say more, Breaking Dawn?)


I hope you consider your tastes. Mine are: romance keeping you on your toes but not falling over, action every three or two chaps, a plot that gets thicker with "drama" every chapter, words that read like poetry but not boring. I ask for too much. But if you want a book like this, read The Book Thief (though the action isn't very physical, just mental).


*bows* till next time?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I think vampires are highly overrated, I mean I didn't hate the Twilight series...but I get annoyed watching fangirls scream over Edward. Also most of the books/mangas you talked about, I've read. I staarted Zombie loan, but then I started to get freaked out by the way it was progressing...kind of like we were going to see some girl love O.O and I love Gen Dead <3 it's so cute also Kiss of Life.
    I also agree mostly with what you were talking about with romance, it's like this one plain girl falls in love with this super hot, prone to cause a noseblead guy, and *gasps in feigned shock* the guy falls in love with the girl! and not to forget, we have to listen to them whine and cry about how horrible their life is throughout that whole process. Although, I know a lot of books that aren't like that, but still majority *points to what was previously written*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks. Zombie Loan does have some interesting...moments. I'm glad someone agrees with my opinions.

    ReplyDelete