Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why People Change (Interview One)


The male with the absent gaze gives me a look of ache. I don’t try to convey my sentiment because there is none. I nod. “Your question?”

“Why do people change?” he says slowly with the ache on his face shifting to the pounding heart in his chest. I suppose the “people” who have changed are two very important girls. One, his girlfriend. The girl who he fights constantly. The second, his intellectual and sarcastic ex-best friend who can’t even spare him a passing glance because it is apparent she hates to be messed with.

“Aren’t you the one who told me no one changes, but your thoughts about yourself do?”

“Yes, but I don’t actually think that miserably. You do.”

“Get back to you. Now ‘why do people change’ was it? The answer is probably not that simple. They change to adapt. They change because they’re bored. Heck, they even change just because the crowd says to.” I smile then. Everything I say is being absorbed by the sponge with the placid, worried face. He is someone I hardly admire, but he is someone who can at some points have an interesting thought. His love for two girls, however, impresses me. What does not impress me is his love to lie to both. Even if he does not realize his love, he does embrace it a little too often.

So why do people really change? I don’t know. I think it depends on the person and their thoughts and mind’s makeup. Such a broad question is somewhat a reverse cynic’s way to find more meaning in everything. For example, this person, or specifically the guy asking the interviewer questions, finds something to link him to every poem to the insignificant leaf on the ground. He thinks he is thoughtful; I (ironically) think he is getting on my last nerve. I depart from the “interview” without even thinking about what he said, odd for me, yet it stays on my mind all day. And every time I see him I play the role of the person who was supposed to affected by it. Am I? I’d like to say not the least. Yet I play this role. Am I a hypocrite? Maybe. But as this hypocrite I proudly say, “I’m thinking about the things that pertain to the world. I’m not applying everything to me selfishly and hording two girls’ hearts.” My next interview with this monstrosity (yet remember I do sometimes fancy a chat) is unknown, but he will be feeding many thoughts he didn’t mean to feed and will never gain the credit for.

And that’s all?

4 comments:

  1. Did someone really ask you why people change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. And it really made me sad I couldn't think up an answer right off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we change because time isn't still, why should we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.... Never really thought about it... On one hand its good but on the other it is sad when friends change and don't need you.... I guess we have to....>0<

    ReplyDelete